Picture of Owain Morris
Any textbook recommendations?
by Owain Morris - Sunday, 7 February 2010, 06:08 PM

Can anyone recommend some decent textbooks on ELT?  I have had a look in bookshops but cant seem to find anything satisfactory to help with lesson plans.  Also a decent basic English Grammar guide would be handy for future reference, has anyone got any tips?

Thanks,

Owain.

Picture of Sarah Jackson
Re: Any textbook recommendations?
by Sarah Jackson - Sunday, 14 February 2010, 11:29 AM

decent textbooks - depends on the level and the age: adults : headway/face 2 face/ cutting edge

secondary school - what's up?

grammar ref: Murphy's published by CUP - red is basic, blue is harder

hope this helps :-)

NULL
by Rosemary Hendley - Thursday, 3 June 2010, 07:13 PM

I was looking into doing a CELTA and one of the recommended textbooks was 'English Grammar in Use' by Raymond Murphy, subtitle 'A self-study reference and practice book for intermediate students of English with answers' published by Cambridge University Press. It has a fun style, taught me a few things about English and, (speaking from my total lack of experience of teaching English) is something I'd use to save me designing controlled activities.
Picture of Allan Jackson
by Allan Jackson - Saturday, 2 April 2011, 11:59 AM

One of the best grammar books I have came across would have to be Practical English Usage
Picture of sharon holder
by sharon holder - Thursday, 12 May 2011, 06:03 PM

Hi have a look on Amazon the book shops are not that good, but Amazon have them all. I found one called Essential TEFL by James Jenkin and Emma Foers it's really good. The other is one that my tutor advised is called Learning Teaching by Jim Scrivener. If you type in the search bar on Amazon TEFL you will get loads of books to choice from. Hope this is helpful.
Picture of Elizabeth Lewis
by Elizabeth Lewis - Friday, 2 November 2012, 10:33 AM

i've got the Scrivener book and it's fab! Will definitely recommend...

Picture of Jane Hird
by Jane Hird - Monday, 2 July 2012, 10:53 AM

1) "Teaching English as a Foreign Language for Dummies" by Michelle Maxom, published by John Wiley and sons. Really easy to understand, and has everything that was in the weekend course, and more. It's very readable for just sitting in an armchair and reading from cover to cover. I also find it great as a reference book.

2) "Teaching Skills for Dummies" Again, really clear, and could help you avoid a lot of pitfalls in the classroom.

3) "Collins Easy Learning Grammar and Punctuation in Colour"  Very easy to look something up quickly when you are stuck.

4) "English Vocabulary in Use",  by Stuart Redman, published by Cambridge. I found this useful, again as a reference when planning lessons, to use for inspiration and guidance. It is really meant as a workbook, but I found it useful in other ways, too. 

Picture of Natalie OKeeffe
by Natalie OKeeffe - Tuesday, 10 July 2012, 09:16 AM

I would second the recommendation for Practical English Usage. It's endlessly useful for grammatical queries and reassurance.

Skip Teacher's Pack

Teacher's Pack

Teacher's Pack £25