Picture of Scarlett O'Connor
Idiots guide to travelling/completing course in 4 months... Help!
by Scarlett O'Connor - Wednesday, 20 April 2011, 01:01 PM

Hey everyone.

I'm new to the forum :)

have just started my online TEFL & have decided to go to Thailand but have given myself a date of September.

This includes completing the course but also to sort flights, visa, vaccanations etc.

Would you say that's realistic?

Was hoping to book my flight next month so that's the motivation for me to complete by August to enable my certificate to arrive in time.

So a few questions really, is completing the 50 hour as well as the 30 grammar course within 4 months doable?

Also how soon do I need to start looking at visas etc?

I'm new to all of this so any advice will greatly be appreciated

Thanks

Scarlett

Picture of Robert Huthwaite
Re: Idiots guide to travelling/completing course in 4 months... Help!
by Robert Huthwaite - Wednesday, 20 April 2011, 03:45 PM

I am just waiting for my final assignment mark on the 50 hr course and i have completed the grammar in 6 weeks. so yes it is do able
by Scarlett O'Connor - Wednesday, 20 April 2011, 06:08 PM

Hey

Thanks for your reply... How much dedication did that involve?

I currently work full time so only managing a few hours an evening.

Just to clarify, you completed both the grammar & 50 hours online in 6 weeks?

Pretty impressive... One less stress!
by Robert Huthwaite - Friday, 22 April 2011, 07:42 AM

Hi
Yes it took me 6 weeks to complete the 50hr Tefl and grammar awareness. I did it everyday for a couple of hours. I was also doing the grammar when I was waiting for my assignments to be marked.
I had a lot of motivation as I want to get out of my current job so I know that once I have done this course I won't be there forever.
I did it everyday to keep the motivation going and keep what I had learnt fresh so I would not forget.

Rob
by Scarlett O'Connor - Sunday, 24 April 2011, 02:01 PM

Thanks Rob

You've been a great help & well done... That really is impressive.

Also, thanks for the tip on doing the grammar whilst waiting for your assignment grades to come back... I was doing it the other way round! Makes sense now ;)

When & where are you off to if you haven't already done so?!

by Robert Huthwaite - Wednesday, 4 May 2011, 04:03 PM

I am taking a month break then I will start the TEFL video course. I have to wait due to personal issues o get a job abroad but i would love to go to the far east but sadly a degree is needed and me pratting around while at school has come back to kick me.

Im glad my advise was useful to you, if it hadnt worked for me i would of told you another but I found that the easiest
by Scarlett O'Connor - Wednesday, 29 June 2011, 10:44 PM

That sucks dude.

I don't have a degree either for the same reasons!!

Have decided to hit Thailand in September, currently in the process of sorting my visa out...

Hoping to find work out there so fingers crossed!

Have pretty much finished the grammar then going to crack on with the 50hr, haven't even looked at the video yet!! So much to do, such little time.

Chasing the Dream!
by Natasha Bates - Saturday, 25 February 2012, 04:35 AM

Hi Scarlett! Jus wondering if you made it to Thailand? Found your posts really inspiring as I wasnt sure if I was being over-ambitious in setting stringent time goals, mainly cos I'm SO keen to travel (hopefully Japan!) Agree with most people's experience of the current UK job market so at least now I feel that I'm working towards a change for the better, not just coasting through life

Skip Teacher's Pack

Teacher's Pack

Teacher's Pack £25