Picture of David Blair
Finding Work in Japan
by David Blair - Friday, 21 October 2011, 10:04 PM

Hello there!

I will soon be finishing a TEFL course and was wondering if anybody has any experience teaching in Japan?

Please Note that i have already worked out my Visa details, i`m just curious for insider information.

Perhaps you know of some Interview techniques in Japan or jobs advice boards that sort of thing.

I`d appriciate any information on this topic or humurous stories you may have

;-)

Chasing the Dream!
Re: Finding Work in Japan
by Natasha Bates - Saturday, 25 February 2012, 04:30 AM

I'm hoping to explore Japan too. I'm just starting the course so havent planned anything yet. I hope you're closer to your goal now, I think 2012's going to be a productive year! ;-)

Picture of Matthew Ashton
by Matthew Ashton - Friday, 29 March 2013, 03:25 PM

I live and teach in Japan. Id be happy to give advice if your both not already here. 

Picture of Jessica Papouchado
by Jessica Papouchado - Monday, 22 April 2013, 10:44 AM

Hello,

I am planning to come out to Japan soon to live and teach and would very much appreciate some advice. I have an interview with Interac tomorrow for a job that would begin in August. Do you know anything about this company? I also don't really know where my preferences would be in regards to asking for location. how did you go about getting work and making these decisions?

Thanks, Jess

by Matthew Ashton - Monday, 22 April 2013, 03:52 PM

Hello. Yes, I have worked for interac for about 5 years. 

Its one of the better companies to work for though its not perfect. The pay is ok, but youll have lots of free time to find extra part time work, if your free and single though its more than enough to live on.

I live in Kawasaki and work in Tokyo. Most of the full time work (interac) is in Yokohama and the smaller cities. Tokyo and Kawasaki are mainly part time. I work in Junior High Schools which is mainly full time.  The first time I cam to Japan (2004) I chose Tokyo/Yokohama as I didnt want to be to cut off from western life and wanted to be at the centre of things. I worked for a different company back then. Tokyo/Yokohama/Kawasaki are for all intents and purposes the same. If you want big city lights, mainy foriegn friends from your home country and other western countries aswell as Japanese the you want to head to a big city Tokyo, Yokohama Kawasaki and Osaka have large foriegn communites. In these places youll be alright for finding lots of stuff from home if you need it. Other obs are available in these places too. If you want a blend of city life with a little more relaxed then you could try smaller cities like Nagoya, Hiroshima, Fukoaka.. Kyoto is very old style Japanese as well but has a sizable foriegn community. If you want a hardcore Japanese experience then youll want to hit a small town or rural area. This will be more difficult, you wont have many foriegn friends and homesickness can be a problem. Youll have to be tough and embrace some Japanese ways to stick it out. Alost everybody Ive met whose done that has much a better level of Japanese than us city dwellers.  Perhaps if your unsure a year in Tokyo/Yokohama or Osaka would be a good starting point then if you want to move out to somewhere quieter or more rural you can ask interac. They are always happy to oblige. In some rural areas you will need to drive though. 

Good luck with your interview. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.  

by Jessica Papouchado - Monday, 22 April 2013, 05:10 PM

That is all fantastic information, thank you so much. I am really nervous about this interview, because I do not feel fully to grips with grammar (I know the basics) and i have not yet completed my online tefl course. I did inform them of this at the phone interview stage, but am still really worried they may catch me out on it asking questions at the interview. How much will this be an issue? Am i overthinking it - are they more wanting to see potential to become an ALT teacher or to see you are fully informed with everything and understand plenty already? I feel a bit out of my depth here. I don't know any japanese either... 

Thanks

Jess

by Matthew Ashton - Monday, 22 April 2013, 09:40 PM

Its Tuesday morning here now. So Good Morning.

Yes you are over thinking and makig yourself worried. With half a TEFL you will be more qualified as a teacher than 75% of ALTs. I myself am only part way through this online course. Most of my friends have NO teaching qualifications at all. Here its the degree thats the main need. With a TEFL you will find alot more opportunities for better paid work (which is why I am am doing it) especially after you have a years experience. Most of my co workers no little about grammar - we are there for the students to practice speaking and listening to mainly, they will study grammer with their Japanese Teachers - knowing your grammer will help though and make your JTs confident in you.

Dont overthink, Interac is the largest provider of ALTs in Tokyo and Yokohama (in Yokohama they are the sole provder in public schools) so as long as you can speak native English, have a degree and can hold a conversation the job will be yours.  

They are looking for somone enthusiastic and fun who can motivate kids to speak English. Thats it. You will be overqualified in their eyes if you tell them you are studying TEFL and will have a qualification by August. Jobs yours. 

by Jessica Papouchado - Thursday, 25 April 2013, 03:30 PM

Thank you so much for your soothing words, they definitely helped calm my nerves! The interview was absolutely fine and I'm confident I'll get it. Will hear as soon as they have processed my application in Japan. 

by Matthew Ashton - Monday, 29 April 2013, 08:46 PM

Well done. I hope you get a position in the place you want. Let me know if you want any more advice about living here, ALT work, Interac or anything. 

All the best. 

Skip Teacher's Pack

Teacher's Pack

Teacher's Pack £25